Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Help needed: Hashimoto HM3 SUT matching my ZYG Airy3 Cart

> I don't know what the 12R (7-40R) means.

goldenthal is correct. The 1:20 turns-ratio configuration is recommended for cartridges with internal impedance between 7-ohms and 40-ohms like Denon moving coils whereas the 1:40 turns-ratio configuration is recommended for cartridges with internal impedance between 2-ohms and 7-ohms like your cartridge and also many Ortofon cartridges. However, you can use either turns-ratio setting with your cartridge or any other cartridge. If your cartridge needs only 26-dB amplification, you can use it with the 1:20 turns-ratio setting.

The fact that your ZYX cartridge has a recommended load impedance > 100-ohms is for active MC phono stages only, not for transformers. Your ZYX cartridge should work just fine with either setting on the Hashimoto SUT. If you haven't already purchased the Hashimoto transformer, you might want to check out Bob's Devices. I own his CM-1131 SUT and it really sound good in my system. The CM-1131 has the same turns-ratios as the Hashimoto. However, Bob also sells the Sky CineMag SUT with turns-ratios of 1:15 and 1:30. According to the chart on Bob's webpage, you ZYX cartridge should work best with a turns-ratio of 1:30.

Good luck,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Help needed: Hashimoto HM3 SUT matching my ZYG Airy3 Cart - John Elison 23:12:21 06/20/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.