Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Choosing 2 channel pre-amp with sub out

Thanks everybody. I'm coming from old school, before there were subwoofers. Or you made your own and used an outboard crossover. I was naive and confused; every other piece of equipment seemed to have incompatible subwoofer hook ups!
I would have liked a simple answer that everyone agreed on: buy this one. But, life ain't like that.
So, a regular stereo pre-amp with y-adapter(s) out to the sub. I kinda knew about that but didn't know exactly how to wire that up. In fact I spent over an hour googling how that would work, just looking for a simple diagram. I discovered again that there is a high signal to noise ratio on the internet. Finally found a diagram on Polk's website.

Here is what currently I have:
Sources:
Broadcast Television, not really concerned about great sound quality there

CD/DVD: an older Oppo OPDV71H
I send an optical out to the receiver. My guess in there are better DACs than the Oppo has, which is over 10 years old. But if you find the 'secret' code you can convert it to region free in about 1 minute.

I may add a turntable at some time.

Receiver: Panasonic SAXR55 This is one of Panasonics early 'digital' amps. It is the weak link in the system, soundwise. And it has no preamp out.

Subwoofer: HSU LTF-2

Speakers: Linaeum 10 These are pushing 18 years old.

What started all this was a desire to try the JBL LSR 308, or maybe 305. These are powered monitors with trickle down tech from their M2. With no preamp out from my receiver, I need a preamp to feed the powered JBLs. And also to get a signal from the preamp to the sub.

I'm hoping the JBL may be an improvement, but won't be disappointed if it isn't. Half my motivation is curiosity over how good they are. And I can use them in another location if the Linaeums are better.

I currently run the speaker wires from the receiver to the sub, and then from the sub to the speakers. The receiver has one single RCA sub out, which after investigating this I figured out how to hook that into the sub (which has left and right channel RCA inputs). And I've also read that doing that and sending the speaker wires direct to the speakers will probably improve things too.

Room: 6'x19' rectangle. 8' ceiling

The Linaeums are rated at 3db down to either 35 or 32hz. The HSU goes down to around 25. I can definitely hear lower bass extension with the sub.

Edits: 06/20/16 06/20/16 06/20/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.