Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Not so

I've owned a McIntosh MA6500 integrated amp for 14 very enjoyable years. After about 20 years of only tubes, I decided to try solid-state again for various reasons. I auditioned many preamps and power amps but could not find anything acceptable.

Then I stumbled upon a dealer offering McIntosh. The sonics had a liquidity and smoothness I could not find in other brands. I soon visited two other McIntosh dealers and heard the same qualities on different loudspeakers. I was hooked. I placed an order for the MA6500 and have been very pleased since.

To further describe my MA6500, it offers a very natural and musical presentation, it is sonically neutral to very slightly warm, the amp is dead quiet, it has deep and solid bass, an extended and airy treble, is highly detailed, never fatiguing, and tosses up a wide, deep, and tall soundstage with excellent imaging. Reliability has been perfect.

I may go back to tubes someday, but it is a pleasure to never have to replace tubes or check bias. Even if I go back to tubes, I will never sell the McIntosh.

I suggest again that you read some of the many online magazine reviews of recent McIntosh gear and the MA5200 in particular. Here is one:

Edits: 06/15/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.