Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Perreaux 3150 vs Odyssey Stratos in my system

I had really thought my old Perreaux amp was dead, and had put it aside thinking it might be unrepairable, and got interested in the Odyssey Stratos after some research on a good amp to mate with the Magnepan MMG (and future 1.7), and purchased one new. I've had the Stratos (actually a Stratos/Kismet in Khartago hybrid breaking in for about a month, continuously on. The rest of the system is a Basis 1400 / Rega RB 300 with Incognito wiring upgrade and an Express Machining Heavyweight dropped counterweight, to an Audio Research SP9 MK III. I'm using the Gronberg Quatro Reference IC and speaker cable.
The Stratos is sounding better all the time (it he manufacturer suggests 400 hrs to fully break in.
Well, I decided to look over the Perreaux, at least the fuses and the faulty power switch and was able to get the power switch to the on position (apparently this part often has problems) , felt it kick on., and decided to switch out the amps to see it it was operating correctly.
It was and after a short warmup it was sounding great.
I haven't done in depth comparisons yet as I'm going to leave the Perreaux in the system for a few weeks then switch back to get a clear impression of the differences. But my initial impression was one of unlimited power and control of the bass, great dynamics and a slightly icy presentation of the top end. When I used to run the Perreaux, that quality would subside the longer the unit was on. I observed that after only an hour of warm up.
Anyone with experience have an idea which might be better for my system?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Perreaux 3150 vs Odyssey Stratos in my system - srwilsonmiami 08:50:27 06/15/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.