Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Best quality/sounding amp ( $300

New Caps.

Some wooden shims to hold board up to facilitate removal and replacement.

Old leaky caps.

New binding posts.

Hi Rich;

I recently dove into a little project with my 12 year old son. He has the Pioneer Andrew Jones designed monitors that while not pigs for power, do wake up when driven with more juice.

For the power you require, I would look at a Adcom GFA-5300, 5400, 545 or similar.

I had a semi old (1995) made in Japan Adcom 5400 lying around. The GFA-5400 is rated at 125 wpc @ 8 ohms and will drive most anything to reasonable spl's.

Well, after firing it up there was some humming coming through one side, and after some googling I was 90% sure it was a leaky filter cap(s).

We changed out all four filter caps as well as the binding posts
and it sounds very good. Not just for the money, but good period.

One can find these amps all day every day on Ebay between $150 and $300 that need nothing and sound very good. If they do need some new parts, they are cheap and easy fixes. They will certainly kick the shit out of some Best Buy receiver.

Some prefer the sound of mosfets in the 5300/5400/5500, where as others like the sound of bi-polars in the older 535/545/555 models. Personally, I find them to sound more alike than different - but that's me.

Good luck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Best quality/sounding amp ( $300 - geezerrocket 05:07:32 06/14/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.