Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

BAT VK-300x SE + Thiel 2.4

9 years ago, I started blogging about the BAT VK-300x SE:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I never did complete the review. Nevertheless, I did use the VK-300x SE with my Thiel CS2.4. That combination does have potential.

First of all, we have to assume that you have top-notch and copacetic source components.

The VK-300x SE does a terrific job of preserving soundstage depth. That has obvious benefits for orchestral works. But you'd be surprised at what a plus that is for popular music. That separation of images in the depth plane gives music breathing room. With any studio recording, your mind is then free to explore, and get lost in, the music.

The VK-300x SE doesn't harden textures. This can mitigate the CS2.4's sometimes static and detail-at-the-expense-of-expression personality.

Sorry, I do not have any photos, showing the VK-300x SE and CS2.4 together.

In terms of sonic match with the CS2.4, I preferred the VK-300x SE over the Jeff Rowland Continuum 250 (too dry and sterile), Mark Levinson No. 383 (lifeless), and Simaudio I-7 (a mild warmth spread over the entire spectrum becomes fatiguing).

-Lummy The Loch Monster

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.