Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: beginner wants amp help!

You have a 13x13x10 room, and two "bookshelf" speakers of moderate efficiency. You won't need more than about 30-50 watts even for the peaks. You will likely be using maybe a couple of watts RMS. So, I would suggest looking at amps which excel at that first 0.25 to 2 watt output level.

I cannot imagine spending several thousand dollars to fill that room with good and loud sound. In my case, I have a 100 wpc Onkyo which I bought for about $400 approx. 6 years ago, and it is quite adequate in both output and sound quality, and my "room" (it's kind of an 'open' floor plan) is substantially larger than 13x13. When I'm in "the mood" and decide to crank it up, teenage kids have been known to tell me to turn it down. It's not quite as good as my Harman/Kardon 505 was, but close. No obtrusive harshness or grainy texture.

This in no way should be construed as bashing or otherwise denegrating very high quality or high-priced gear. My intention STILL is to finish building my new speakers, and to bi-amp them with a couple of Parasound amps. So anyway, there IS a difference in sound quality, and only you can decide what differences you can hear and whether or not it matters to you. I know a guy who has a semi-vintage Parasound HCA series amp, and that puppy, along with his preamp (don't know what it is), is clean clear sound. I've also heard the Magico S7 speakers at the Magico factory, with some very high end electronics, in a very well-designed room, and that is the best sounding system I've ever heard. So, it all comes down to you... what will make you happy?

:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: beginner wants amp help! - Inmate51 08:40:50 05/18/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.