Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Converting dual mono amplifier from single ended input to balanced input - Possible?

Sure. Audio by VanAlstine sells a device that would provide the inverted signal that drives the second channel in a common-ground stereo amplifier.

The first time I saw it, it was a "kit" for home assembly. Not any more. http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=115&Itemid=171

The up-side is that you get (theoretically) four times the power output from your amplifier. (More realistically, about three times the power.) The downside is that it's about ten times more likely to be driven into thermal failure.

Be sure your amplifier is TRULY common-ground. Lots of amplifiers claim to be common-ground, but actually have a resistor between each negative binding post and chassis ground, so 2x the resistor value between the two negative binding posts. This plays hell with Polk SDA speakers, I don't know about the AVA inverter. It would be worth your trouble to ask them.

Of course, IF (big IF) you have a preamp with a balanced output, you've already got the inverted signal, so no need for the AVA box.

Edits: 05/16/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.