Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Decent low-end integrated with XLR's?

In my main system, I replaced a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated with a Wyred4Sound STI-500 which is Class D. While it's the only Class D I've ever heard, I don't feel that I downgraded sound quality by going from the A5 to the STI-500. The sound is perhaps a bit unnuanced compared to the A5, but this unit has in spades what I found lacking in the A5: amazing rhythmic sense and excellent imaging. So, I don't hate Class D.

It's unfortunate, though, that the audiophile press has virtually no interest in integrateds in the TEAC's price range. Like the veritable slew of similarly-priced Onkyos, Cambridges, Music Halls, Yamahas, Marantzs and the like, this TEAC can't buy itself a review beyond one in Amazon that, frankly, was tough for me to parse. Since I can't hear the thing before I buy it, I'd prefer some guidance from an actual listener to a complete pig in a poke.

I note that the used PS Audio that also is recommended in this thread also is a Class D design. However, it's an older one in a constantly-evolving field. I suspect that newer Class D designs are better, given that a few of them -- NAD and NuPrime to name two -- have gotten pretty good marks from the press in the last year or so.

So, yes, I know what you are saying, but I am taking a chance here in any event. It's not as though I can gain much useful information about the competitive Class A/B designs, so it's a bullet biting exercise in any case.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.