Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Consider that tube power goes farther

Hi Abe,
Similar but different. The Plinius 9200 is a fine SS amp that doesn't sound so SS that a tube guy would dislike it. It is always at it's best when left "on" all the time, not in the "standby" mode. I learned that from old Harry Pearson articles about Plinius gear, tried it, and it's very true. It would still need about an hour at volume levels to sound it's best and really sing.

Warm-Up: The Cary is much better than the Plinius in the first hour and improves considerably after about 45 minutes but not as much as the 9200 did.

Audiophile stuff: The Plinius bested the Cary in dynamics and detail although I'm sure the Cary can reach closer in those areas with the right tubes -- it is very responsive to tube rolling. The Plinius produced a nice wide soundstage, 'maybe' even a little better than the Cary, but the Cary destroys it in soundstage depth. Imaging winner goes to the Cary.

Tonal accuracy: I'm not a musician so in my opinion, my opinion doesn't really count in this area. They both seem fine with the Cary obviously dependent on the tubes used.

I listen mostly to jazz these days so the Cary in triode mode really does it for me. It's even fairly good in triode when I listen to Hendrix or The Heavy, but I need to use ultralinear mode (80 wpc) to really get the leading edges and dynamics of (especially) electric guitars to sound right.

I don't listen to classical except for an occasional spin of The Planets, which is fine in ultralinear mode.

I sure wish I could have tried the AES SixPacs with a Cary SLP-05. It's a bummer that Cary no longer makes the SixPacs! I need to try the SLI-80 with EL34 tubes.

There's just something about tubes, they just sound right, although the 9200 never sounded "not right".

Terry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Consider that tube power goes farther - Terry P 13:38:18 05/11/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.