Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Passives

Morricab hits it right with his comments in my experience.

I have been using two preamps on and off for the last decade or so. A DIY SET single stage VT137 triode preamp with stepped DACT volume pot and a Sonic Euphoria autoformer volume control (SE).

In terms of tonal balance, they are virtually identical. I think the SE is slightly more focused sounding, VERY slightly less noisy (my VT137 preamp is VERY quiet four an active, tube preamp, a requirment since I use 100db+ effiecient horns) and I never have to turn it off or on.

My active VT137 preamp sounds bigger (wider, deeper soundstage), has more "air" or a sense of room accoustics where the recording occurred, actually sounds more transparent (that always get me, how can an active preamp sound more transparent than an autoformer Which is basically a long wire?) and has better bass (deeper, bigger, more). I like both sounds.

I have experiemented with many resistive based passives and agree that they are more transparent than my SE and probably a bit more than my VT137 pre but they always sound dryish, strangly lifeless and ultimately somewhat boring. I can run my PS PWD II dac straight into my amps without a preamp and I get that same sound as with a resistive passive preamp (the sound is detailed, transparent, fast) but ultimately somewhat fatiguing and lifeless.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Passives - TubeDriver 07:35:40 05/04/16 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.