Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Passives

Personally, I don't think there are any benefits to passives compared to expensive high-end active preamps. I've never owned a passive, but I have listened with my active preamp removed. All the power amplifiers I've owned over the past 30-years have had attenuators on their inputs making it very easy to connect a source component directly to the amplifier without using a preamp. I have done this on several occasions just to evaluate whether or not my preamp was degrading sound quality. I never though eliminating the preamp improved sound quality. There was always a slight difference, but I never thought the sound was necessarily better without the preamp.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to test even if you don't have attenuators on your power amplifier. It's easy to fabricate a simple resistive voltage divider so you can connect your CD player or your phono stage directly to your amplifier and listen for yourself.

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.