Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Yamaha Natural Sound Series amplifier

The Yamaha B2 is a special amplifier, which, along with a few amps from Sony, used VFET output transistors. Properly looked after, all these VFET amps are good, reliable units with a reputation for a 'smooth' or 'slightly sweet' high end and 'solid' bass.

HOWEVER as previously mentioned the VFET output transistors in these products ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE ANYWHERE AT ANY PRICE. A replacement VFET will show up on Ebay from time to time, but it's likely that any failure of the output stage of any of these amplifiers will require a handful of VFETs, not just one. So, typically, if one of these amplifiers fails, it likely cannot be repaired.

That said, they are prized units and if you get one be sure to read everything you can about their care. The Sony amps are noted for blowing up if certain of their original diodes are not replaced. There may be similar protective steps an owner could take with a B2, too- any B2 owner would be wise to find out everything they can about such matters before plugging the amp in.

Another warning I've seen with the Sony VFET amps is a stern caution against ever using a variac to "slowly bring up" such an amplifier. I suspect that might apply to the B2 as well.
Science doesn't care what you believe.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yamaha Natural Sound Series amplifier - triamp 04:15:39 05/01/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.