Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I have been some Hi End stores...

and have heard some very expensive gear. One system I heard was over $70k and I was not impressed at all.

I was just sitting there in the listening room for over an hour listening to different LP's, CD's and even a tuner. The sales guy was raving how this was a great system and all. I just kept sitting there saying to myself that for the money for this system, it was no better than the one I had at home from what I was hearing.

I think there comes a point that we come to in sound quality that you hit the wall where price to performance is about as good as it's gonna get. The rest after this point is just better nicely design exteriors of the components. Hopefully new ground breaking circuit designs inside but I haven't heard of anything really new for awhile. This goes for power, interconnects, and speaker cables also!

Now, Mr. Pass is a great Audio Engineer and has some great sounding gear. He has done a lot for Audio. I have never met Mr. Pass but I hear he is a really nice guy! I wish I could afford some of his new gear but I don't have that kind of dough. I just carefully put a system in place with some mods to the components that I am very happy with.

Years ago I was able to take home any piece of gear that I could fit in my Truck home to audition from Jeff Sound Values. It was here when I started to see and hear in my home that the more I went up in cost ladder of gear, the more I wasn't that impressed. The gear sounded good but just not the BIG leap in sound quality you would think for the Giant leap in price.

One of the best systems I have ever heard in a high End store new was the BAT VK-5i preamp, BAT VK-500 power amp, Goldmund Table (I don't remember the cartridge), BAT P10, Vandersteen 3A speakers with XLO cables. Now for the price that total system went for, it was good as I have heard and was very affordable.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I have been some Hi End stores... - Cougar 07:32:01 04/26/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.