Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Denon PMA-750 static

I was really excited to have picked up a Denon PMA-750 for 25 bucks a couple of weeks ago. It sounded really good and was making beautiful music with my (also thrift) $10 RS-225 speakers. Until today.

I made the mistake of touching it and attaching an additional turntable as well as a CD player into the mix and as soon as I started trying out the different settings, the phono and tuner buttons developed heavy static.

It seems like I may have disturbed the well developed dust and rust and gotten all the switches dirty.... I'm thinking.

What is the generally accepted reason for static in these units? It's not static "above" the music, it's the music itself coming in and out. If I bang on it, the static changes... gets worse or lessens. Once it went away completely for a moment, but then came back.

Would it be safe to wash it out with some denatured alcohol to get all the nasties out of the switches? The same way I dipped an iphone into a glass of the stuff to dry it out? I figured with a soft brush and a squeeze bottle I could get the thing clean as a whistle. Yes? No?

Edits: 04/25/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Denon PMA-750 static - MannyE 16:52:42 04/25/16 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.