Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Looking for receiver recommendation.

If you want a receiver for patio speakers and an iPod or phone, the simplest place to go is Goodwill or the Salvation Army store. There are plenty of nice Sony, Kenwood or Yamaha stereo receivers for under $100, typically less than $50. Hook them up to two set of speakers and buy an RCA to stereo mini plug cable and plug it into the headphone jack. You might have to pull off the case for the plug to seat all the way.

We use an old Kenwood that cost me $40 in my wife's studio. Most folks use the headphone phone on their phones. You can get iPod docking stations which also charge the iPod, but the old ones don't work on new phones because the connector changed. We also have a Bluetooth to RCA out box, $20. It works, but you can't be more than 30 or 40 feet away from the box.

If he also needs a receiver for HT, then I'd buy a new one that supports 4K. I use a Yamaha RX V-567 (?) that's a few years old and cost me less than $400. It's integrated into the main 2 channel system and functions as an HT processor and surround amp along with driving the outdoor speakers with whatever is on the main system.

Why does he need two units? To play different material on one pair versus the other one?
-Rod

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.