Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Audible Illusions Modulus 2D

I would say that separate volume controls for each channel on a consumer playback product is a bit geeky and unnecessarily cumbersome. (Now my phone's gonna ring. ;) )

Seriously, when recording, we NEED a level control for each input channel. But in a home playback system, it's over the top and annoying. It's akin to stepping through menus and choices on a car sound system or GPS - too much fiddling.

Some folks might be into it, though, to wit (from another poster):

"How you deal with this depends upon your technical abilities, but it is easy to calibrate your two volume controls so that the voltages match when in the same position. You have calibration lines surrounding the knob. In theory, if the two knobs are both pointing to the same point on the dial the output should be exactly the same. Unfortunately, this is not usually the case because the knob can be installed on the shaft slightly differently. I have separate volume controls for each channel and I always calibrate the knobs so that the preamp has identical AC voltages when the knobs are in the same position.

You need an AC volt meter and a signal generator. Set the signal generator for one volt AC sine wave (or whatever voltage is appropriate for your gear). Loosen one of the knob set screws and turn the other knob so that it is in the position you approximately use for listening; read the AC voltage on the output of this channel. Now turn the other shaft with the loose knob and match the AC voltage. Turn the loose knob until the position matches the other knob exactly and tighten the set screw. Now the output from both channels will match when the knobs are in the same position."

Seriously?! For a home stereo system?!

I "get it" if you've got a phono cart or other source which is out of balance. But that can be addressed by trim pots which you set ONCE. The occasional imbalance of a particular recording, or speaker placement, is why "balance" controls were invented.

:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.