Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

It was a good learning experience

for my adolescent years and short lived. It resolutely taught me that THD was a largely irrelevant metric.

Two years later, I got back on track with a Julius Siknius designed Audire One power amp now driving MG-IIs. That was when Frank Van Alstine entered the market with his Dyna mods. I replaced the 11 with his FET-5 and took a page from the Double Dyna and boosted the power supply of the Audire. I added another 60,000 uF to the stock 20,000 uF along with a new bridge. That change improved transparency and dynamic kick.

While that was a good amp, the Acoustat X speakers that replaced the Maggies had their own servo amps which I used for several years. Next amp purchase was a Threshold Stasis 3 to drive Acoustat 2+2s that only recently did I part with.

For the past 15 years, I've been quite happy using VTL MB-450 mono amps to drive the stats. A new S-400 or Series III version of my current amps would be nice though!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • It was a good learning experience - E-Stat 06:20:27 03/29/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.