Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: DC offset should always tried to be set to.....

Thank you all for the replies and advice.

I tried the CD player separately before seeing the replies and found that it worked fine into my own system (via RCA cables), which is good. I have now checked the speaker outputs for AC and got a 0.000 reading on both left and right outputs.

So, tentatively, I connected it all up to my own speakers, now with the Quads connected using their own Ampbus cabling, and turned on (with my fingers crossed). A small switch on thump through the speakers as the power switch on the rear of power amp was turned on, plus a small click/pop through the right speaker when I powered it all out of standby. Loading in a CD and pressing play, then gently turning up the volume and I have music! No signs of audible distortion that I can hear, nor any buzzes or hums through the speakers with my ear next to them and no music playing, so all looks good so far. Its a 99 pre, 99 CD-P2 CD player and 99 stereo power (not the 909) amp, by the way. The speakers are the 77-11L, and I have tried to remove the tweeters but initial finding is that they appear to be bonded (as well as screwed) to the cabinets in some way, same goes for the mid/bass drivers too. If I can find something long, thin and strong enough then I may be able to push the tweeters out through one of the ports on the rear of the cabs, though not sure what to use for this yet as there is a metal mesh of some sort in the back of the port which blocks access a bit.

Anyway, thank you again for the tips. I guess the power amp may need a service given the switch on thump and then the click/pop when it came out of standby, though I can't detect anything which may damage my own speakers as yet so at least it is mostly fully working. Sounds great, too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: DC offset should always tried to be set to..... - graciouslee 07:00:29 02/10/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.