Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: There is someting to this high powered amp approach

"Yes on amp watts quality , regardless thou, if you require 200-300 watts for unclipped reproduction , the 45 watts is clip city ...

I run a couple of Class A amps that put out less than 100 watts into 8 ohms. They drive the hell out of the worst loads out there. When I bought them, they were driving Apogee Scintillas at 1 ohm setting (efficiency ~ 73 db) and drove the hell out of them. The reason is that they have very robust power supply circuitry and keep doubling down as you halve the impedance. They put out very high current - the Scintillas need up to 60 amps on music peaks.

The point is that simple output numbers don't tell the whole story - that 45 watt amp you look at may pump out several hundred into low impedance loads.

Some amps - Krells, Classe DR3 VHC, one model of Eectrocompaniet, an early Bedini, the rare Belles A, and one of the Adcoms were about it for the Scintillas.

Of my 3 systems, I have 4 power ams that will drive a Scintilla, and in my other one, a Class A/B amp (Rowland 5) that likely will but I've never tried it (150 watts into 8 ohms, 475 into 2 ohms

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.