Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: There is someting to this high powered amp approach

For what it's worth (and you're not likely to want to hear this) I wonder if your real problem is your choice of speaker.

Several years ago, after years of hankering after ATC Active 50 speakers (which had been outside my price range), I found that ATC had a set in stock at a very good price. I drove to their works and collected these long-lusted after speakers. They are tri-amped with built in 200+100+50 watt amps. I fed the speakers directly from my Mark Levinson 390S CD player/preamp. Plenty of power, but not the sound I wanted. I wanted to play them loudly but they seemed to be wanting to be pushed another 20 ft from the listening position - far too "in your face".

ATCs are low efficiency and require beefy amps, but I wonder if you wouldn't be better off with better speakers to match your excellent amps. I came to the conclusion that the ATCs were designed for studio use and were not so good in domestic situations. After some consideration, and a chance reading of the Stereophile Equipment of the Year 2000 edition, I noticed they chose Avantgarde Unos as their joint best speaker. Reading the full review, it seemed that these speakers offered everything I found lacking in the equally costly ATCs. I bought the Unos and still find them an absolute delight to listen to, even after 15 years. Your Pass Labs and Mcintosh would be ample to power these or similar higher efficiency speakers and may be a great match.

Peter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: There is someting to this high powered amp approach - cawson@onetel.com 07:05:22 02/02/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.