Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Audilble Illusions M3A Selector Switch Frozen

It looks like the selector swtich's bearing in the front panel of my M3A is frozen! Has anyone ever heard of this one? This selector is designed as follows: Round Black selector switch knob is scewed onto the 10.5 inch silver shaft with a tiny hex screw. This silver shaft runs front to back. There is a copuler at the back of it inside the unit that connects the silver shaft to the shorter shaft protruding from the selector switch itself. The connector is a cylindrical female coupling with two 7/64 inch hex screws. One screw clamps the front side of the coupler to the rear of the silver shaft, the other screw is in the other side of the coupler which slides over the short shaft protruding from the selector. The selector switch itelf is horizontally mounted against the vertical circuit board in the rear of the unit.

I was able to identify the problem by loosening the 7/64 hex to the silver shaft. Turning the coupler can then turn the selector switch shaft. When I then reverse the torque, tighten the coupler on the silver shaft and loosen the selector switch side - the silver shaft won't budge without some some scary serious effort using pliers.

Of course AI wants me to send the unit to them. Unfortunately I dont have the time or the money to do so.

Does anyone know how this silver shaft mounts to the front pannel and/or the bearing?

I don't have experience with bearings, but if I could get access to it, is there any chance a lubricant, compressed air, or WD40 might free it up enough to use?

If I could get it out, I wonder if I can get away without using a bearing. I bet I could rig something up. I just need to decipher how to get to it.

Right now I have 2 inputs working: Tape In for my Phono and whatever the selector is pointing to, DAT I think. Unfortunately I need at least 3 inputs to cover everything so I've got to figure a way to get the selector to work again.

I hope I provided enough information for you to picture what the issue is, please do share your thoughts. I'd really appreciate it.

There's way too much voltage in there for me to make a habit of changing inputs by reaching back and just turning the selector. Once I touched one of the heat sinks while she was fired up. Surprise THEY ARE HOT! I will never do that again (ouch).

Thanks, John

Edits: 01/28/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Audilble Illusions M3A Selector Switch Frozen - jk 21:46:07 01/28/16 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.