Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

OPPO 105 Direct to Amp, Bi-amp Complication

I am thinking about creating a home theater system, but do not want to sacrifice much in my stereo performance. I don't have the budget or space, though, for two separate systems. I cannot see any point in having two components with lots of overlap in their capability. I am therefore thinking about using an OPPO 105 and an amplifier rig, without an intervening preamplifier/integrated amp/receiver. I can live without radio and my turntable/arm was never that good anyway, so it looks like the OPPO can handle all my input needs. I plan to use my home-built tube amps and a Hafler DH-200 driving Lantana Tads and Laugs, respectively, as a bi-amped system for the FL and FR and stereo speakers, using another amplifier for the surround channels.

It looks like it should be relatively simple to achieve most of what I want. If I want two-channel stereo or multichannel mixed to two, I select the "Down-mixed Stereo" setting for the "Stereo Signal". That should present the full range signal at the stereo outputs, which then lets me run my bi-amp system. If I want multi-channel, I select the "Front Left/Right" setting for the "Stereo Signal", which then sends those channels to the stereo output. It would be good if I could use the Hafler/Laugs as the subwoofer in 7.1. One can set the FL and FR speakers to "Large" and they get "all audio content". However, I am not sure if that means all of the audio just in those channels or if the LFE channel gets mixed in as well. If the LFE gets mixed in, then it looks like I have what I need. If you have experience with the OPPO 105 in this manner, please let me know if this is right.

If the LFE channel does not get mixed in, then I have another problem. I currently use a really simple cross-over for my bi-amp. The Tads cross-over and speaker pretty much have a -6 dB point at near 80 Hz. I have a simple low-pass filter on the front end of the Hafler that matches the cross-over frequency of the Tads. For my purposes here, that means setting all of the speakers to "Small" on the OPPO and then setting the crossover to something somewhat above my cross-over would send all of the bass to the Hafler/Laugs, if I could get it routed there. However, I cannot figure out a way to do that. I suppose a high quality manual switch between the stereo outputs and the LFE output would do the job, but if you have a more elegant solution, I would like to hear it.

Thanks for your time and attention.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - OPPO 105 Direct to Amp, Bi-amp Complication - MarkEns 12:13:00 11/28/15 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.