Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: D'Agostino Integrated With Two REL Subs

I have a single Rel Strata III and was actively biamping the mains with two W4S ST-500 stereo amps. As I had two balanced amps to feed into the sub, I had to purchase a special cable from Sumiko. The cable ground (black) was connected to the preamp (ie system ground) definitely not to the "negative" speaker posts and one wire (red) was connected to the positive of right bass and the other (yellow) to the positive of the left bass amp. No connection to the negative speaker terminals. The neutrix went to the "Balanced" XLR input.

I am back to a single amp now but am still using the "special cable" but I don't think it is necessary.
So what I suspect is that if you use two subs, connect the cable grounds (black) to the amp or other system ground, and the red and yellow wires to the positive and negative of the left and right speaker outs, and the Neutrix to the "Balanced" XLR of each sub and all should be well. The special cable should not be needed unless you connect to the "Unbalanced" XLR but there is no sane reason to do this. The idea is to avoid connecting both positive outs or both negative outs to each other or either the positive or negative to a ground.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: D'Agostino Integrated With Two REL Subs - neolith 20:53:52 11/20/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.