Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Cherry Creek Audio

I resonate with what is being said. Your story about Cherry Creek Audio caught my attention.
I am not from Colorado but was visiting my sister in Centennial, 10 years ago. I was in the market for speakers, quite possibly under $1000, but nothing is engraved in stone. I really wanted something that could reproduce acoustic music and sound "real" (classical music, as I am a musician and retired from a 25 year career). While in Cherry Creek Audio, I took my time listening, then after awhile they ushered me out of the room because a doctor wanted to listen to the speakers. Actually, I would have been fine just standing there if they had said something polite like, we don't mind you listening, but we need to turn our attention to a client with an appointment. Anything polite would have worked. Of course I left.

In the end, I drove to Colorado Springs and visited Roy at Green Mountain Audio (unannounced) who gave me a factory tour (small factory) and an extensive, personal audition. He is a nice guy, physicist with an excellent ear--not a salesman. I bought a pair of Europas on the spot, and still have them. Actually, I believe Roy used a Boulder amp. Europas are a little on the warm side, I guess you could say, but are still very "real" sounding--good for playback of live, acoustic recordings in which I am intimately familiar hearing it live, as I have spent my life. Actually, Roy used to be an orchestra recording engineer.

The bigger point is that casual listening is the only way.

Obsession with profits is obscene. ... and if you are not spending thousands, you don't count, right?...

Another good one is Frank Van Alstine. He is certainly there to sell his product, but he is a real decent human being about it yet has made a good living (heard him say on youtube). He's been around probably 40 years or more.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.