Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Enjoying my Newly Assembled Chipamp Gainclone

It's been a busy year so this was a slow build, starting all the way back in February, but I finally finished 'er up. This is based on the popular Chipamp LM3886 build with a few tweaks to make it a good integrated amp for everyday use and further improve the already great sound quality.

If you're not already familiar with the Chipamp / Gainclone, it's based on the 47 Labs Gaincard, a neat design with minimal parts count, thus being a pretty easy build for DIY'ers, and a budget build as well if you don't get too crazy. I built a relatively basic Chipamp last year using the same BrianGT boards, http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2014/06/briangt-lm3886-chipamp-aka-gainclone.html , and despite the low cost, the sound was very impressive. Slightly warm for a SS with a little bit of natural harmonics reminiscent of tubes. Output is about 68 watts if I recall correctly.

This new build was to try and tweak out the design a bit to remove any bottlenecks and make it look a little sexier, so far so good with a bit more extension in the highs, I need to give it some additional burn in, but this is a great bargain build whether you go the basic route or not. Also a great place to start for a first time amp builder, just remember to heed all safety warnings.

I have no affiliation with BrianGT or Chipamp.com, just bought a few boards from him ;)

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Enjoying my Newly Assembled Chipamp Gainclone - HiGHFLYiN9 13:09:05 11/10/15 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.