Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Thoughts on Boulder from those who have heard it?

I used to frequent Audio Unlimited Denver before John Barnes passed away in 2011 [RIP]. John Barnes and Carl Jerritts ran an outstanding audio shop for decades out of John's large home with multiple listening rooms throughout including the fully finished basement and large converted garage that was completely insulated, carpeted, and had dedicated AC.

For a while, their main setup consisted of a couple massive Boulder amps and high-end Boulder preamp/DAC, along with Accuphase DP-85 CDP... and a few turntables. This drove a pair of tall Focal speakers. I don't recall the speaker model but they were top of the line. These things looked very impressive, and taller than me. They had a lot of other brands as well including a few vacuum tube systems.

As impressive as the Focal speakers looked being driven by massive Boulder monoblocks, I never thought the setup sounded that great. To me, it was a little dry and lacking 'soul'. But of course, I tend to lean toward systems that are a tad bit warm, rich, and full-bodied. They also had Air Tight, CJ, Cary, BAT, MacIntosh, Electrocompaniet, and other brands.

The guys at Audio Unlimited Denver were great. They would always let me come in and play with all the high-end gear while they did their administrative work in the back office. Never any pressure to buy but always friendly and eager to talk shop.

Carl Jerritts opened Apex Audio Denver a number of years ago and he still carries Focal but I believe his 'high-end' electronics are now Solution.

Edits: 11/10/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.