Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I believe what i wanna believe, I'm Dad

Any other words you want to put into my mouth?

I have a great deal of experience with ARC both at shows and at 2 friends homes. Nothing special and certainly not even close to the best I heard using push pull. Overpriced for what you get IMO. Listen to the CAT amps sometime.

Do I have to hear every model in a product line before I can make a statement about a "house" sound? I have never heard a Cary product that I liked. I seriously doubt the 805A will be any different but I admit I havent heard this model. Slow and slovenly sounding compared with Tron or Border Patrol to give 2 examples. Feeding the power tubes properly in SET amps is critical.

I have owned over 6 S.S. amps in the last few years and at least 5 tubed (both ultra linear, P.P. and SET). I have had at least another 6 amps in my house for repair, inspection or audition. I have been listening seriously to 2 channel for over 28 years and attend just about every show. None of this makes my opinion any more significant, but dont believe that it is an opinion based on anything but experience.

OTLs are the best I have heard but I have never owned a speaker that worked properly with them and I refuse to use an auto-former.

For the record I dont think that ARC, Cary or Rogue products are the problem with tubes. I do feel that products from these manufacturers help reinforce the negative generalizations often associated with tube amplifiers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.