Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Want McIntosh, can't afford it - what do?

Greetings,

Currently I own a pair of Focal Aria 948s. Combined with a McIntosh C50 and MC452, it's the most satisfying sound I've heard in a home environment. Unfortunately, there's no way I can afford those 2 units in the next 25 years or so. Can anyone recommend something comparable? I know McIntosh makes the MC152, but I'm new to this so I have no idea how much the C50 colors the sound (I heard that combo 5 states away, and no one in my area has that gear on hand).

There's the MA5200 and MA6600, which are in my price range on the secondhand market, but reviews on both seem mixed.

Bottom line: is there another brand and/or model that comes close to the C50/MC452 combo for $3k or under? My source is an Oppo BDP-103, which has a somewhat weak DAC IMO (Peachtree Novas are 10-15% better, for example). I really only need 1 digital input and about 100 quality watts, hopefully that helps my situation?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Want McIntosh, can't afford it - what do? - caustic386 18:48:46 09/30/15 (33)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.