Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Agreed! Take these two opinions of the same Pass amp, for example to show how opinions can differ......

Comments from poster Burrows on diyaudio.com on his Pass amp:

"A colored amp can easily hide a problem source, for example, as the NC-400 is really just a clear window on the rest of the system. I directly compared my NC-400 amp to my PASS X150.5, for example, and heard more detail (more finely structured low level harmonics, better timbre) and better control over the speakers for more finely detailed bass. I heard this differences throughout the entire frequency range. No synthetic sound in my system whatsoever. This is why I use NC-400, as I build DIY DACs, and like to hear what they really sound like, rather than the sound of a cloudy colored amp."

From an audioasylum review of the same Pass amp by "the analog kid":

"The final characteristic of this amp that merits mention is the naturalness of tone. It is an EXTREMELY realistic and natural sounding amp - warm, clean, clear, and transparent. But it is NOT high on the liquidity scale. For those seeking that "drip from the walls" sound, this amp will strike you as comparatively sterile. However, I find it the closest sound to "the real thing" I've yet experienced, and it is the PERFECT mate for the Forests, which perform SO far beyond the envelope now it's frightening."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.