Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Indeed

"If one of them says something, I give it a lot of credence."

"Victor Khomenko, John Curl, Charles Hansen are quailifed EEs who know
whereof they speak. ... If one of them says something, I give it a lot of credence."

Me too!

And in terms of experiential results... I also give great credence to AA posts. But when it comes to explanations, well, they are best taken with a grain of salt.

And that makes perfect sense to me: Very few posters have a clue about specifying, designing, producing or measuring electronic products, and why should they? This is our hobby, not our jobs! But, we all know and how stuff should sound, and we care...

I happen to have been lucky? enough to have spent my working life in the Electronics industry (yes, the USA did once have one) and I've been on all sides of the various fences. The biggest thing I notice here is that users usually don't clearly understand the roles and limitations of product and engineering specifications and the inevitable instance variations in production. And why should they, shoot, most of the marketing people don't either! Sorry, couldn't resist...

Anyway, let me tell you from extensive experience that it's virtually impossible to nail down the performance specifications and tolerances tight enough for anything that is tightly coupled to our senses, especially sight and sound from my experience (but I bet our local vintners would plump for taste and smell), to the point that two instances of the same product will be indistinguishable, let alone equally desirable. That's life, we are sensitive creatures. Sniff...

It really doesn't take golden ears or an epicurean palate to hear, taste or smell the differences although not all differences will be sensible to all people. Just the luck of the genes and life history. But do they matter? Ah, that's the rub. Speaking of music and wine, a $12 bottle of wine will probably improve the sound of a fairly decent system more than any other tweak. And listening to pleasurable music will likely enhance the enjoyment of good spirits. AND having the right person next to you on the couch? Perhaps the best tweak of them all...

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Indeed - rick_m 11:43:51 09/27/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.