Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: voltage transformer for ss class A

Wow, you've gotten a lot of responses that have very little to do with what you're asking...

You need to buy a step-up transformer that is adequate, but not overly adequate for the job. You should also check to see if your line voltage is 110V, I bet it's more like 125V.

A 5000W 110V:220V transformer is going to put out a hell of a lot more voltage than 220V if you only have a 160Wx2 class A amplifier.

What you need to do is to determine your line voltage and the expected line voltage of the amplifier; this determines the step-up ratio. Next, if your amp is 160x2 and is class A, then a 600VA step-up should be more than adequate (might be called 600VA). I wouldn't go over 1000VA.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting a step-up transformer in front of your gear. There are some people that pay a ton of money for power conditioners that have 1:1 isolation transformers in them, but then those are the same people who will turn around and tell you that a step-up transformer is some kind of insane compromise!

(Oh, something else to consider - you will have an IEC cable with 220-240V AC on it. You DON'T want to plug this into any 110V gear, I tend to paint the ends red on these power cords to reduce the odds of a mixup)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.