Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Adcom 5500 vs Emotiva XPA-2

There is something I find very odd about the Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier from looking at the pictures in the webpage at the link below. It appears to have twelve 15,000-uF, 50-V capacitors in the power supply. The specifications state that power supply filter capacitance is 45,000-uF. The thing I find very odd is it appears that the twelve capacitors are used in series pairs to filter the rail voltage. This is extremely unusual and I have a feeling it's not a very good idea. The rail voltage is probably at least 70-volts if the amplifier is designed for 300-watts RMS into 8-ohms.

Power = Voltage2/Resistance

Therefore:

RMS Voltage = Square Root(Power x Resistance)
...................... = Square Root(300 x 8)
...................... = 49-volts RMS

This equates to 49 / 0.707 = 69.3-volts peak, which means the rails must be at least 70-volts.

I think 45,000-uF is too skimpy for an amplifier this large. My Parasound Halo A-21 is rated at 250-wpc RMS into 8-ohms and it has 70-volt rails with 100,000-uF filter capacitance as well as a 1200-VA toroidal transformer. Of course, the Parasound costs more than double the price of the Emotiva. Still, I think the Emotiva XPA-2 power supply filter is poorly designed with less than sufficient capacitance.

The Adcom GFA-5500 has a 1500-VA toroidal transformer. I couldn't find out its power supply filter capacitance, but I have a feeling it might be the better amplifier.

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.