Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I would say nearly all amplifier designs are conceptually WRONG!

I was very happy with a 5wpc single ended tube amp driving some Klipsch Forte II but ended up selling the Klipschs to try some Magnepans. That little amp was the best I've ever heard, but you should have seen the trouble I had selling it! If I had trouble selling a made-in-USA tube amp like new with enough tubes for a lifetime for under $500 (no takers for my original $900 asking price), how would a manufaturer stay in business selling them for multiple times that amount?

This isn't about what I think at all. I love single-ended tube amps. But manufacturers have to sell stuff to stay in business. Not just to ten or twenty audiophiles on a forum. And when they ship them they won't sell too many if they weigh 50 pounds each. If you think that current manufacturers are missing the mark, try starting a company yourself with your own money and see how well you do. Your bank manager will be more than concerned with your distain for the buying power of the mass market.
As far as SS goes, do you envision 100 more companies like First Watt? How many of them would survive more than a month or two? I dare you to try.

Edits: 09/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.