Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Need Info On McIntosh MA6200

Airtime wrote:
[Quote]You should consider the Stereotech 1200. It was made by McIntosh or perhaps farmed out???? Maybe Mac was working on it or they just acquired the design. Either way it is one SWEET sounding receiver. And a Mac.

don't go down the same road twice.

charles
[/Quote]

Wow! No love for McIntosh in this forum. I must say I am surprised by the replies so far.

I do have a backup if everything falls through. I have a Harman/Kardon Citation 19 amp and a Citation 17. The 19 has already been repaired and serviced. The 17 is due to come home this week. I know I said I wanted to stck with integrateds and that is true. However, I don't think the Citation 19 and 17 are anything to sneeze at.

In case you are not familiar with H/K, the Citation series were considered high end and comparable to McIntosh. Sidney Harman was a visionary and he knew what he wanted from his components. He was an amazing man. I can see why Jimmy Carter wanted him in his cabinet.

6bq5 wrote:
I can not speak to the newer gear-
However I will ask: What is it that you are looking for from McIntosh Gear?
The House sound comes mainly from its transformers / autoformers (OPTs on SS amps) There are a lot of aspects to recommend them- but I am not sure how many of the newer SS Amps have the Autoformers employed in the signal path.

[B]On a separate note: I heartily recommend the folks at Audio Classics - a great group of people![/B]
Happy Listening
[/Quote]

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Steve Rowell and Ryan Kilpatrick. These are some of the best I have personally dealt with in all my life. I have nothing but praise and I would recommend AC highly.

So, what is it that I am looking for from McIntosh. Just by your question, I will assume you are young. You didn't grow up in tMy Dad was a Chevrolet-Buick dealer. He would get one Corvette per year from Chevrolet, with the exception of the Indy Pace Car and the 25th Anniversary, that year we got three. Being a young boy growing up in the business, the Corvette was the epitome of automobile status. Every boy dreamed of one day owning a Corvette.

McIntosh is the same for me. Back in the early 1970s, we had an Audio store that sold top brand components... Tandberg, Rotel, B&O, Harman/Kardon, and Mcintosh. These are just some of what they sold and I'm sure there were a few others. My first experience of seeing and hearing McIntosh, even back then I could not afford McIntosh. I cannot afford to buy new McIntosh today. The pre-owned market is the only way we 99 percenters can afford. Every young boy aspires to own something very special, and that's what McIntosh means to me.

If you had the opportunity to own something you've always wanted, would you scratch that itch, or would you forget about it? I think we all know the answer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.