Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Not Solid "Pin" Connectors

I've read the posts so far. Kootenay's recommended "pin connectors" look good at first. But there is a significant limitation, which is "contact area".

Look at the amp's connectors. Inside the connector, there are two flat thin "teeth". If you put a solid pin into it, you'll have a VERY tiny connection point. This is similar to putting a typical 1/4 inch "phone plug" into a 1/4 inch phone jack. (That's the type of connector on "full-size" headphone connections.) If you've ever looked at the innards of such a connection, you'll see that it's a very tiny contact point. This is one reason why they're not recommended for speaker connections (nightclub speakers come to mind).

You can illustrate this for yourself: Draw a circle of, say, 1/2" in diameter just to make the diagram easy. Then draw a straight line which is tangential to the circle. Then, draw another tangential straight line, on the opposite side of the circle. These are your contact points using a solid rod connector sandwiched between two flat teeth.

It would be much better to simply trim off (as in, remove with a wire cutter) enough strands so that the multi-stranded cable fits into the hole without loose/excess strands. The flat teeth will clamp down on them as best they can, based on the spring strength, and give you a MUCH larger contact area.

:)

Edits: 09/21/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.