Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I would say nearly all amplifier designs are conceptually WRONG!

An amp that varies its distortion level with frequency will have sonic issues because what it is generating is not consistent and what is not consistent is what humans notice the most. The other problem is that invariably the content of that distortion is also changing and not just the relative level, which would be bad enough on its own.

"My amp measures similar to Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, (their transformers are even better out to 200k), Quicksilver, Music Reference, Pass Labs, Jeff Rowland and many other well engineered amplifiers. "

Engineered? I am not talking about the quality of the engineering...no doubt they are designed just fine with regard to the design goals.

I said CONCEPTUALLY wrong as in the whole basis for the design is flawed and based on flawed thinking about how an amp performs its job.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I would say nearly all amplifier designs are conceptually WRONG! - morricab 09:38:36 09/19/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.