Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: The tail doesn't wag the dog....

Certainly.

But, you'll end up with what's known as a 'ahake out' where the least profitable (NOTE: Not Smallest) manufacturers go out of business. Like a guy who has a real engaging and well thought out case design who thinks he can now be a player. Spends a bundle on inventory but is not necessarily a business guy. Good amp? For sure, just not making enough money and he doesnt' know how to fix it.

And since everyone is using modules from what is certainly a fairly small menu, the NEXT problem is one of 'unique selling position' or 'point'. You start talking about input circuits and modifications of factory modules. In the case of NON-Power Supply equipped modules, the design and construction of the PS becomes a possible selling point.

Companies like Spectron and whoever else makes a Proprietary 'd' amp have an advantage here. And since they ARE proprietary, have complete freedom of design and are not 'stuck' with potential compromises of being a module installer.

So sure, S+D is certainly at work. But so is the rest of econonics.

I'd say the good leverage may be what BelCanto appears to be doing. Working WITH Hypex for a dedicated design / mod schedule for Bel Canto ONLY. Now that's good marketing and I'm confident they'll preserve The rest of BelCanto's design and Sound goals. You also have to be able to BUY enough modules to make this work.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.