Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Well put: is it lack of "bad" distortion or the addition of "good" distortion

"Virtually all of the sort of amps favored by Morricab have have high levels of 2nd order distortion, especially at high frequencies and higher output levels."

-This makes sense and correlates well with what Morricab was stating.

High levels of 2nd does not kill the treble like low levels of high order.

Simply because 2nd is a much lower frequency, there will be much less nulling and peaking going on that ruins the treble. (Intermodulation)

"You might be comparing SETs with 2% or higher 2nd order distortion versus SS or class D amps with .01% or less Total HD. Assuming you think the SETs sound better -- which might be purely personal preference that not everybody shares -- it needs to proven that it's the vanishingly low high-order rather than high 2nd that is making the SET sound "better"."

-I am not sure who this part is directed to, but I tried to sum it up in my post before this one.

It is physics that proves that "vanishingly low high-order rather than high 2nd that is making the SET sound "better"".
As mention previously, these sidebands are encountered all the time when dealing with RF.

△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.