Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Many of the studies you mention have been discredited...

both directly due to problems with their methodology or conclusions, and indirectly, as you have with your point that there are legions of "wrong" amps that not only have gotten rave reviews but are commercial successes with many happy owners. Clearly there isn't any universal methodology or inherently superior class or topology. Given the variation in associated equipment that makes up a system, as well as the variation in tastes and preferences, it is ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Of course there are always rationalizations: reviewers are biased, anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant, deaf, inexperienced, etc. The lengths some will go to defend a position (humans, at least some of them, can hear EVERYTHING, ALL distortion is audible, and other gems of science (fiction)) is simply amazing.

If we were talking about smell, taste, or the other senses, I can't imagine anyone arguing that humans should prefer the same beer, food, color, cologne, or underware, yet when it comes to sound preferences, here we are in crazyville...

I think it would be quite interesting to see the reaction if this discussion where moved to diyaudio.com where Nelson Pass, Bruno Putseys, and many other audio pros who have ACTUALLY designed and put amps to MARKET are regular contributors....

Edits: 09/18/15 09/18/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.