Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: load impedance is a problem for any amp if you want the best reproduction

So now the Distortion spec counts for sound quality ..:)

The best systems i have ever heard , had multiple big amps and large multi driver speakers , of course nothing that could be driven with an OTL nor an SET amplifier and they were'nt anywhere near 16 ohms. Power is very much necessary for realism, regardless of sensitivity, do the math and the scale is the same low- high. Speaker size is also very necessary for realism, The percussive energy required to sound real (to replicate real instruments ) doesn't come from little speakers running on small amps.

So , yes distortion increases with low -Z, but how much is too much and only because the class-A bias and feedback used is diminished as you lower drive impedance , PSU noise not withstanding.

IMO,

It's Very important when pursuing SOTA dsigns to have a load tolerant Amplfier, Since the typical dynamic speaker is not a resistor and will have low-Z values below it's nominal, Which Brings us to your original Picked bone.

There is no such thing as a 16 ohm speaker sounding better, just because it happens to represent a Nominal impedance of 16 ohm, a multiple of said speaker operating at 4 ohm, will sound better if not amplfier limited, as the lower thd and increased sensitivity achieved by doubling Driver surface area, will overcome the ususal slight increase in THD from the amplfier, unless inadequate (Halcro) or not designed to do so (OTL).

Regards.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.