Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Morri, Appreciate the effort, Dats some deep S*** , Conceptually WRONG ?

I have driven 84db/watt electrostats with 30 watt SETs no problem (do the math you will see it can still get quite loud) and ribbons too. A speaker with about 90db/watt and a benign load will sound better than you thought possible with a good SET.

I have heard what we thought were ho hum speakers turn magical with a top notch SET and I have heard great speakers sound like S#)t with a mediocre amp. Pick the speaker to match the amp and it is a more sure fired recipe for success. Unless your room is huge or you listening habits live rock concert, you don't need monster amps.

We recently did demos at friend who has Thiel CS3.7, which is sensitive at 91db but also has a tough load. Even still, my 35 watt PSE monos drove them better than the guys 120 watt Octave monos, which drove them better than his previous amps, the McIntosh MC501 monos. Truth was the needle was rarely climbing much above 5 watts when he had em and he listened pretty loud...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.