Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Bath? try my Sony plasma 42" I paid over $4,000. for it way back when,, now geez..

Yep. LIGHT ENGINE was the culprit. I had the 60" and it was incredible. NO sign of the space between cells (Vias is the name) while action was crystal clear.
VERY film-like picture.

The problem? PLASTIC lenses in the 3-color light engine. (RGB)

Don't forget that manufacturers change models More Often than MOST people change underwear.
But it's also clear that SONY never DID a 'clean sheet' light engine redesign even after they KNEW about the problem. And its horrendous magnetude.

I got an 800 series LCD 55" set for about 500$ or so DELIVERED to my door. I opened the box to confirm the panel was intact than SOLD IT FOR about 2x what I paid for it. It was the LAST of that model years sets. The next years sets were a slight upgrade, per usual practice.
Part of the deal was to agree NOT to sue 'em. AND they got the SR# sticker from MY old set so I couldn't claim it again.
However, in looking back, had I NOT signed my rights away, I believe people like US could have successfully sued since we were NEVER notified of ANY class action lawsuit which was an 'opt out' type. \

I think we would have prevailed in INDIVIDUAL small claims suits.

I tried selling the set as a 'fixer' with CLEAR instructions as to the problem. I tried selling the carcas to the local (several, actually) TV repair guys. I finally sold the LAMP and the old lamp housing AND the unused REMOTE to some guy for 20$. (I had converted to logitech)

Now look at the TV market? NO MORE Plasma. LCD sets are 'commodity' cheap. Sell the Sizzle. I'd wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation of OLED before I revisited TV Land.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.