Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Receiver advice - Luxman R-117, Technics SA 5170, or Kenwood KR 9600?

If it was me I'd take the luxman hands down if it was in good working order. I've owned and sold Kenwood, never heard a Technics whose sound was beyond entry level. The Luxman I've owned had excellent clarity for a receiver although it had decent bass it wasn't as prominent in the sound as some might like. Kenwood would be my second choice, they made some decent stuff but their receivers sound like receivers. I have to say though the Technics I've had experience with have been reliable.

What are they charging for these? In recent years the vintage receivers have become a fad and also over priced. I wish I had kept some of mine around to sell now. Depending on budget I think you could get a new receiver or integrated that would serve you better. Yamaha has a stereo receiver at $499.00, Cambridge Audio top receiver SR-20 with built in DAC, phono stage and plenty of power is $699.00, some cheaper if not needing certain features. Good deals can be found on Cambridge and Marantz integrated amps. If sound over power the NAD integrateds can be had cheap.

Of course, if you can get those you are looking at for like $50 to $75.00 pick one and enjoy. When looking used, Adcom gear is a killer bargain and you'd be thrilled with them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Receiver advice - Luxman R-117, Technics SA 5170, or Kenwood KR 9600? - Mr Peabody 20:48:02 08/27/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.