Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: So who's heard the Cronus Magnum II?

I bought a brand new one yesterday from local Rogue rep. I have never heard an earlier version so cannot make comparisons. My setup is with Harbeth 7es3 in a smaller/medium sized acoustically treated room. Previously used a Luxman 505U integrated SS amp.

The tubes supplied were the JJ for the 12AX7 and 12AU7 sections. The power was (4) Tung Sol KT120s.

Soundwise very happy but have some comments/criticisms later on. The tubes are still breaking in but getting nice solid "meaty" bottom frequencies and punch along with a mid-range that is clear maybe with the touch of tube magic in the mids (very slight but nice and pleasing holographic). My first impression was that it sounds like a SS amp. But as I listen more can start to differentiate from a SS amp that I have had for 2 years. The punch is there but it's not take control Luxman SS 100W bottom end. Still very impressed with the overall sound. Plenty of power with the Cronus II. Im at 9-10oclock on the volume knob and its medium loud, no way to get to 12 oclock without waking the neighbors. Also I noticed the unit get hot, the face plate gets very warm.

Now for the criticism. I'm getting a single tick/pop on the left speaker when I engage the mute on the remote. Happens every time. I swapped speakers cables with no fix. I suspect it's a noisy/defective relay switch. I have contacted Rogue and waiting on their response (prob. Monday)

Second I notice a little bit of a buzz/hum in the speakers. Is this normal? I suspect it is as I faintly remember my Jolida 502BRC years ago having the same thing.

Once I get this tick/pop thing resolved, and let the tubes break in more, maybe I will swap out the middle 12AU7 tube which I hear has the most effect on the tone.

Hope this helps...
-Theron Day

Edits: 08/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.