Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Ok, I won't use my ncore for a shaker table....Thanks.

Heat kills electronics, or havent' you got the memo?

On that basis, I would suspect that 'd' amps used with (especially) low sensivity speakers AND at higher levels in larger spaces WOULD have better long term health. Also, given the efficiency VS power curve of the ASP amps (Physics being physics, I'd suspect the NCore to follow a similar curve) efficiency drops fairly quickly at maybe 25 watts (8 ohms). I rather doubt, however, that ANY amp would have much problem dissipating the kind of energy we are talking about under those conditions, even WITH minimal 'sinking.

And as it turns out, as a 'd' amps efficiency (output stage) rises with power output, you won't need anywhere NEAR the same amount of mass as an equal power A/B amp.

And PHYSICS is what we're talkin' about here. Both an Ncore and a B&O module may both run at similar efficiency, they BOTH have a similar amount of heat to deal with.

I think that using the case as a heatsink may not be a bad idea, BUT you ARE putting yourself at the mercy of the fabricator and case designer. Poor execution of a good design is as bad, in that case as poor design with good execution.
At least a company which adequately heat sinks the amplifier as manufactured has TOTAL control over design / execution and what is called 'heat budget'.

Too much is never enough

Edits: 08/16/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.