Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: The proof is in the pudding...

Please have someone read you my last 2 posts in which I SAID CLEARLY that overheating was not a GENERAL ISSUE but rather one of over design and meeting FTC spec.
It is ALSO true that the 'highly vaunted' call of 'high efficiency' is somewhat misleading in that the very highest efficiency is ONLY at the highest (least useful) power output. Power supply plays NO small part in this, since 'switchers' make very good use of available juice.

Using the case as heat sink is ALSO somewhat misleading. That is predicated on the AIR in the case moving said heat TO the outside case. This is called convection, generally. Heat is much better moved thru conduction of 2 materials in firm contact. Kind of like a REAL heat sink. Gee.

The 2:1 'overbuild' factor worked well for the Romans, some of whose aquaducts are STILL usable as long as 2000 years or so AFTER construction. Stuff built 'at the edge' tends to fail prematurely and ALWAYS at the wrong time. (just like everything, in that regard)

And BTW, my REAL objection to 'd' is NOT the above stuff, which usually plays little part in actual use, but rather my Long Term dissatisfaction with the sound. I really can't put my finger on it, but the HF of my amp was somehow wrong. I'm not sure if the OUTPUT Zobel had some interaction with the speaker crossover? My 'conventional' amps, even sacrificing some alledged power, are far more satisfying.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.