Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Volume vs Gain

I won't do much of anything without 2 things.
First: a Schematic would be nice
Second: Figure What resistor net would give -1.5 db per step for 6 steps

I just had an Idea! I'm going to look at and download some interior photos. Maybe, if the pics are of sufficient resolution I can SEE the pot and at least see what Type it is.

A quick look at BOTH the '23 and the '21 shows a single gang, 3 wire 'pot' on each channel.
It is wired into a sub board with what LOOKS to be a few additional resistors. I can't tell.

The next issue, due to the sub-board below each pot would be one of SPACE for which accomodations may need to be made.

As it turns out, the GOLDPOINT 24 step 'mono' attenuator is less expensive than the 6 position switch would be after adding resistors. the Stepper comes with 0.5% resistors and at the top to middle of the range features 2db steps. Perfectly fine. The KNOBS are expensive, though at 15$ to 19$ EACH. It is a non-standard (1/4"= standard) shaft size, so watch out.

If there is enough space, this would be the obvious way to go. At about 200$ per amp!

Too much is never enough

Edits: 08/13/15 08/13/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.