Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Don't shoot the messenger

Hi-

I wasn't shooting the messenger; I noted it was a quote.

While dCS has been in the audio business a long time, IIRC, they started in pro audio, yet today, as far as I know, they are no longer in pro audio. And in any event, whatever their consumer audio business is, I have a hard time imagining that it compares to their defense business.

About the sound of Halcro's amps. I had one pair on review loan, and I was very impressed.

I wrote:

START QUOTE

Given that nothing exceeds like excess, who was I to turn down US importer Philip O'Hanlon's offer of the loan of a $25,000 pair of Halcro dm58 monoblock power amplifiers? In they went.

Wowee. Zowee. "Amazing" was what my wife said.

So that I could fully utilize the Halcros' commanding reserves of power, the Goldbergs had to give way to Mahler, or at least Jamiroquai. And there was more than just raw power on tap: the reprise of the flute solo in the last movement of Jerry Bruck's recording of the Mahler-Wheeler Symphony 10 brought tears to my eyes. But even on the Goldbergs, the Halcros' speed, phase coherence, and tonal trueness unearthed more information, primarily room ambience (footnote 3). The Halcro amps sound musically authoritative (in that regard, they are among the top three in my experience), are remarkably uncolored but very liquid, and excel at re-creating a three-dimensional space. They catapult to the top of the Class A list in my book.

END QUOTE

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-7-page-2#blIc8clFwmLYw4VT.99

Before I researched that, I had forgotten that it was the Halcro amps that gave rise to the much-debated "Class A+" on RCL...

But in the last retrospective analysis, I think that while I respect the Halcro amps I heard, I do not quite love them like the darTZeel NHB-108 I heard in roughly the same time frame, or my most recent premium-priced amp fave rave, Luxman's M-700.

jm

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.