Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: REVIEW - Benchmark AHB2 with Avantgarde Speakers

Hi Nicolas

Among the best and most recent I have listened to on the Klipschorns are the Berning Siegfried 300B (SET and OTL) and the much smaller Berning MicroZOTL. They are both very good, but the AHB2 is more transparent and in my opinion more correct or true to how natural instruments and voices actually sound in real life. The low noise floor and lack of distortion are, of course, important contributing factors.

I have also listened to a at least one homemade, but excellent, 300B SET with this setup.

Further back, before the Klipschorns, I have had Atma-Sphere M-60s driving Oris horns and even before that various VTL amps and much more.

I hope this more or less answers your question.

One more remark about the sound of the AHB2. I think one of the reasons it draws you into the music the way it does is that it is able to reveal the microdynamics of a recording in such a way that you get a much deeper insight into the performance and interpretation of the particular work. One of the thrills of live music is that you can hear all those shades and nuances in both dynamics and timbre and this, I believe, is exactly the reason why this amplifier is so captivating. It is simply beautiful (this is the word that most often has come to mind), or rather the music is, but the AHB2 seems to stand very little in the way of it. I have to say that I have never heard anything quite like this from an amplifier, but of course I haven't heard everything out there.

If I were to sum up my impressions in a few words it would be something like: crisp, fresh and alive as well as expanding, both on a larger scale and into the smallest possible detail, but most importantly: tone or timbre.

Karsten

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.